When in Warsaw lost in Mokotow district.
Nowy Teatr – 150 years ago, the area currently occupied by Nowy Teatr was used as a clay pit for the production of bricks. After fifty years of operation, the clay pit was covered with waste heaps. In 1927, a workshop hall was built on the edge of the former excavation site to repair the trucks of the city’s cleaning company.
In 2012, the theater became the sole operator of the area and the historic workshop hall, eventually creating a 9 thousand square metre interdisciplinary cultural centre.
The flexible arrangement of the stage and audience allows for multiple simultaneous uses of space, whereby part of the hall may be used for a theatre performance, another part for an exhibition, and yet another for concert rehearsals.
The outdoor area provides the possibility of additional artistic and recreational space in the summer. It is a regular site of artistic installations, music events, and activities for children and youth. Artists, architects, and designers interested in testing new methods of using urban space are often invited to implement their ideas. The entire area has been fenced, but thanks to the possibility of opening parts of the fence, its openwork structure, and meandering course, we believe it has the ability to connect, not only to divide.
The main building also houses a bookshop which organizes regular literary events, and the Wars and Sawa bar, which offers a variety of vegetarian and vegan dishes.
Narbutta street, Mokotów Warsaw
Today apart from the cinema, it houses the Museum of Film Art.